National Eye Health Weeks runs from 24th – 30th September 2018
When did you last get an eye test?
The only way to know if your eyes are healthy and your vision is accurate is to have your eyes checked by an optician (optometrist).
Did you know that Glaucoma has no obvious symptoms in the early stages, but advanced glaucoma can lead to serious loss of sight. With early diagnosis, careful monitoring and regular use of treatments, the vast majority of patients will retain useful sight for life.
Glaucoma is one of the leading causes of preventable blindness. It is estimated that 600,000 people in the UK have glaucoma, with half of those undiagnosed. It aﬀects two per cent of people over the age of 40, and this rises to ﬁve per cent of people over the age of 80.
Who is at greatest risk?
- Anyone over the age of 40
- Anyone with a history of glaucoma in the family
- People with diabetes
- People who are very short-sighted
- People of African-Caribbean or Asian origin
- People who are long-sighted.
Did you know that your eye tests are FREE if you fall into one of these categories?
- Over the age of 60
- Under 16 or under 19 in full-time education
- Receiving income support, certain beneﬁts including pension credit. More information www.nhs.uk
- Diabetic or have glaucoma
- Over 40 and have a close relative with glaucoma
- Advised by an ophthalmologist that you are at risk of glaucoma
- Registered as visually impaired
- Receiving vouchers for complex lenses
The earlier glaucoma is detected the more likely it is that useful sight can be maintained for life.
The International Glaucoma Association (IGA) is the charity for people with glaucoma in the UK. We help to prevent unnecessary loss of sight through glaucoma by funding research, and providing free support to patients, relatives and professionals.
You can access our free services by calling our helpline or contacting our office.
The IGA is also supporting people living with glaucoma in the North East through patient forums and community events. Contact our regional development manager Hannah Morrow for more information. email@example.com or call 07854 821 911.